Bhakti Chai Marshmallows
- 1 Tbs arrowroot flour, or optional dehydrated Bhakti Chai concentrate mixed with arrowroot powder described below for coating
- 3 Tbs unflavored gelatin (Great Lakes brand is preferred)
- 1 cup Bhakti Chai Unsweetened concentrate, divided
- 1 cup honey
- 2 tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp salt
Yield: Approximately 25- 1.5” x 1.5” x 1.5” marshmallows, with extra for tasting.
- Line 8”x 8” straight sided pan with parchment covering all sides.
- Sprinkle ½ coating mixture on bottom of lined pan, shaking to distribute evenly.
- Place ½ cup Bhakti Chai concentrate and gelatin in mixer bowl and set aside.
- Pour remaining ½ cup Bhakti Chai in saucepan, along with honey, vanilla and salt. Place thermometer in pan.
- Bring chai/honey mixture to a boil over high heat watching carefully. When it has come to a boil, turn heat down slightly, lifting pan from heat if necessary to keep mixture from boiling over. Boil until temperature reaches 240 degrees (soft ball) and remove saucepan from heat immediately.
- Turn mixer on low speed to combine Bhakti Chai concentrate with gelatin. With mixer running, pour honey mixture into mixer bowl in a slow, steady stream, hitting the side of the bowl (to cool the mixture slightly as it goes in).
- Turn mixer to high and continue mixing until soft peaks form and mixture is thick and frothy and resembles marshmallow cream, about 10-15 minutes.
- Using a rubber spatula, scrape mixture into prepared pan. Sprinkle with remaining coating, and using fingers, gently press mixture towards the sides of the pan to form an even layer.
- Let marshmallows set on counter for 2-4 hours, or place pan in freezer for 1 hour to set quickly.
- Remove marshmallows from pan by lifting out parchment. Place on a cutting board, and gently pull parchment away from sides of marshmallows. Using a sharp knife, cut into squares of desired size. Dip sides of marshmallows into any extra coating from bottom or tops of marshmallows so that they are easier to handle.
Recipe note: The optional step of coating the marshmallows with Bhakti Chai powder adds an extra Bhakti Chai flavor kick to the finished product! Note the additional equipment required.
1 cup Bhakti Chai Unsweetened Concentrate
- Food dehydrator and paraflex sheet (Bhakti Chai powder)
- 4 binder clips (Bhakti Chai powder)
- 8”x 8” straight sided pan
- Parchment paper
- Candy thermometer
- stand mixer or hand mixer
- Using paraflex sheet from dehydrator, pinch each corner together and clip with binder clips, forming a bowl.
- Pour 1 cup Bhakti Chai unsweetened concentrate into “bowl” and dehydrate at 115 degrees for 8-10 hours until completely dry.
- Using a wooden spatula, scrape dried concentrate off paraflex sheet into a small bowl. Add 1 Tbs arrowroot flour and mix well.
These marshmallows burst with delicious Bhakti Chai flavor, and are also made with health supportive ingredients! Honey, a great alternative to refined sugar, is an energy and immune booster. Gelatin from grass-fed animals supports gut health, as well healthy joints, hair, skin and nails. Enjoy this treat by itself or serve over your favorite hot beverage.