Healthy Bhakti-Spiced Pumpkin Oatmeal Muffins with Coconut Butter Glaze
Ingredients for MUFFINS:
(makes 12 muffins)
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- ½ teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vanilla almond milk
- ½ cup unsweetened Bhakti Chai Concentrate
Ingredients FOR GLAZE:
- 1/2 cup coconut butter, softened
- ¼ cup unsweetened Bhakti Chai Concentrate
- 1 TBS honey
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line 12-muffin tin with paper cups or spray with nonstick spray. If you use muffin cups, make sure to spray the inside of the cups.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add in ginger, cardamom, cloves, and a pinch of nutmeg; whisk again.
- In a separate large bowl combine pumpkin, coconut sugar, egg whites, applesauce, oil, and vanilla; mixing until smooth. Slowly whisk in milk.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Do not over mix! Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center of muffins comes out clean. Cool for approximately 10 minutes before transferring to wire racks to finish cooling.
- While muffins are cooling, you can make the Coconut Butter glaze: Combine coconut butter and powdered sugar into a bowl until well blended. Add cinnamon and honey and mix well. Whisk in Bhakti Chai concentrate until glaze is completely emulsified. Warm until mixture is melted and thin enough to pour. Whisk again if glaze has separated. Add more Bhakti Chai concentrate if too thick. Drizzle over muffins and serve.
Kudos to Ambassador Mary Dolan for helping perfect the recipe and for taking these gorgeous pics!
To make the gluten free substitute whole wheat flour for 1c. almond flour and 1/2 c. garbanzo bean flour!