Peach Macaroon Crisp with Bhakti Chip Ice Cream
- Bhakti Chip Ice Cream
- 9 large ripe peaches, peeled & thinly sliced
- 1 1/4 cups of sugar
- One 14oz bag shredded sweetened coconut (about 5 cups)
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup thick coconut cream, from the top of a can of full-fat coconut milk (see note)
- 9 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup roasted almonds, finely ground
- 1-teaspoon cinnamon
1. In a large bowl, toss peaches with 1/2 cup of the sugar.
2. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 325F. Spread the coconut on a baking sheet and toast for about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden and fragrant. Let cool.
3. In each large saute pan, heat 2 tablespoons butter. Sauté peaches until fruit is slightly softened, about 5 minutes. Add 3 tablespoons of the thick coconut cream and stir until melted. Sprinkle in cinnamon. Transfer to a 3 1/2- to 4-quart shallow baking dish.
4. In the bowl of a standing electric mixer, beat the egg whites at medium-high speed until soft peaks form. With the machine on, gradually beat in the remaining 3/4 cup of sugar until the whites are firm and glossy, about 3 minutes. Using a large rubber spatula, fold in the toasted coconut and ground almonds.
5. Spoon 1/4-cup mounds of the macaroon mixture over the peaches leaving little gaps here and there. Bake cobbler for about 40 minutes, until the fruit is bubbling and the macaroon topping is browned and firm. Transfer the cobbler to a rack and let cool completely before serving, about 3 hours.
6. Serve in Bowl with a scoop of Bhakti Chai Chip Ice Cream
Notes: Don’t shake the can of coconut milk before opening it; let the can settle so you can scoop the thick cream off the top. Reserve the milk for another use. For quicker version: Purchase macaroon cookies and layer in bowl with sautéed peaches and Bhakti Chai Chip Ice Cream.