This cream pie is taken to the next level with hazelnut and graham cracker crust and chai spice. Top with toppings of your choice (we chose either coconut flakes and almonds)!
*Original recipe by SprinkledWithFlour.
For the Crust...
- ½ cups Hazelnuts, Toasted And Finely Chopped Plus A Few Extra Whole Ones For Garnish
- ½ cups Almonds, Toasted And Finely Chopped
- ¾ cups Graham Crackers (crushed)
- 3 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 4 Tablespoons Butter, Melted
For the Filling...
- 3 Tablespoons Cornstarch
¾ cups Brown Sugar
- 3 cups Milk
- ½ teaspoons Cinnamon
- 2 whole Eggs, Beaten
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 1-½ teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
For the Whipped Cream...
- ¾ cups Bhakti Chai Original Concentrate, Chilled
- 1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream – Chilled
- 1 piece Chocolate, Shaved
1. Heat oven to 350F.
2. Place nuts on a baking sheet and toast for about 10 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Once you are able to handle them, remove the skins from the hazelnuts. Finely chop the hazelnuts and almonds. Place the graham crackers in a resealable bag, and crush into fine crumbs.
3. In a medium bowl, mix the graham cracker crumbs, chopped nuts, brown sugar, and melted butter until well combined. Press the mixture firmly into the bottom and sides of a Springform pan.
4. Bake at 350F for 12 minutes, or until golden. Remove from oven and let cool.
5. In a heavy bottom medium saucepan, mix the cornstarch and brown sugar.
6. Gradually add the milk and cook over medium heat until bubbly, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 2 more minutes and remove from heat. Add the cinnamon and stir.
7. Gradually add one cup of the milk mixture to the beaten eggs (to temper them). Then pour the egg mixture into the milk mixture in the saucepan. Cook the pudding until almost bubbly, but don’t allow to boil.
8. Reduce heat and cook for 2 more minutes, then remove from heat. Add the butter and vanilla, and stir. Pour the pudding into the cooled pie crust, and place in the freezer for a couple of hours, until frozen through.
9. Place the cream, chai concentrate, mixer bowl, and whisk in the freezer. Allow everything to chill for about 10 minutes.
10. Pour the heavy cream into the cold mixer bowl, add the Bhakti Chai concentrate, and mix on high speed until cream is whipped into soft peaks.
11. Spread the whipped cream over the layer of pudding. Sprinkle with toasted hazelnuts and shaved chocolate. Serve and enjoy!