- 1/2 cup Bhakti Chai
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1/3 cup uncooked quick (not instant) oatmeal
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup unbleached white flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 cup vegan sugar (I used demerara)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut, 2 tbsp reserved
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan.
Combine the dry ingredients (oatmeal through sugar) in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
3. Add the chai, milk, applesauce, vinegar, extracts, and all but 2 tablespoons of the coconut.
4. Mix well, and pour the batter into the prepared pan.
5. Sprinkle with the reserved coconut and bake for about 25 minutes, or until a tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
6. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Cooking time (duration): 30 minutes