Courtesy of Amanda at Craving Thirty. Yields: 6 servings /// Time: 1 hour
- 3 cups butternut squash, cubed
- 1 cup green lentils
- 1 bottle (or 2 cups) Semi Sweet or Unsweetened Bhakti Chai
- 1 [14 oz] can coconut milk
- 1 [14 oz] can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp red chili powder
1. Over high heat, in a large pot or pan, add butternut squash, lentils, bhakti chai, coconut milk and diced tomatoes. Stir until evenly combined. Add onion, 1/4 cup cilantro, garlic, turmeric, cumin and red chili powders. Do NOT add salt yet. Stir until evenly combined and cook on med/high for 30 minutes. Stir frequently to avoid sticking.
2. After 30 minutes, lentils should be al dente, and most of the liquid will have been absorbed. Add 1 cup water and cook for another 5 – 10 minutes, until lentils become slightly softer. Once lentils reach desired consistency, add sea salt, and mix in evenly.
3. Serve over rice with wilted kale or leafy green of choice, garnish with remaining fresh cilantro and a squeeze of lime juice.